In October 2023, Google made a major Core Update, which has affected SEO. This core update is meant to improve the overall quality of search results for users.
(Read more about how to ensure your business lands at the top of search result pages like Google.)
Google is constantly changing and improving, and it’s up to us to adapt to these changes.
- One update resulted in a heightened emphasis on the quality of websites, mainly for content.
- The second update regards backlinks. The reputation and quality of linking domains are now more important than ever.
- The update also aimed to crack down on spammy websites that use malicious tactics to rank. This is a good thing for quality website owners and searchers alike – this means fewer toxic backlinks and fewer spammy websites in search results.
- AI learning has been implemented to understand user intent.
- Lastly, the update gave local search signals more weight.
What Does This Mean for Websites?
Google updates can create upheavals for existing websites. The update might mean sudden changes in SEO rankings. Some see more traffic and better rankings, while others experience the opposite. As always, conduct audits to see what can be improved and use Google’s guidelines to inform future content.
Key Takeaways from the October 2023 Google Core Update
- User experience is Google’s main goal – this includes mobile friendliness, page speed, and other factors.
- Content is STILL king! Google still values high-quality, valuable, and informative content. Low word counts and duplicate content can be a hindering factor.
- E-A-T is a major ranking factor – Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness – ensure content is well-formatted (headings are important), accurate, and well-written.
- Backlinks are more important than ever. Google is scrutinizing backlinks more closely, and toxic backlinks can hinder rankings.